I am a believer in ghosts. So just remember anything I say is clouded by that fact. If you don’t believe in ghosts, you may want to just move on. Or you can be cynical in the comments. Whatever.

Last night, we had a paranormal research team in my house investigating a haunting. They found two different entities: an 8 year old boy named “Henry” and my late father. How I envisioned this house and the people in it has been forever changed, but at least I have a plan in place going forward.

Some background. We first moved to this house 3-4 years ago. The haunting started just after we moved here. There were several instances where my feet were pounced on in the middle of the night by what felt like a cat, but we don’t have any animals in the house because my husband is allergic. My mother also experienced this “pouncing” on her feet independently when she stayed in the guest room. I also saw a little boy in my backyard with dirty blond hair that ran and hid behind the slide on our swing set. The reason I thought it was a ghost at the time is it disappeared. When I went to go look for him behind the swing set, he was gone. Of course, I was scared. We ended up “saging” the house with sage. I’ve always been told that helps clear spirits. It worked. The haunting stopped…until two days ago.

What I experienced Saturday night. My husband and I heard giggling in the hallway while we were watching TV. It sounded like our youngest, but when we went into his room he was fast asleep. And then later that night more happened. The baby’s mobile had been going on by itself for weeks ever since the baby moved into the nursery. And the baby was up crying when the mobile would go on. I didn’t think anything of that even though there aren’t any motion sensors. Why? Toys go off in this house all the time without people touching them. I just thought things were malfunctioning. This mobile was one I received from Tiny Love to do a review on, so it wasn’t like I could return it. And it didn’t happen all the time, just maybe two times a week.

Then the pouncing happened again on my feet. Saturday night it happened three times in the middle of the night. The baby started screaming in the nursery not too much later so I went and got him. He wouldn’t nurse. He was hysterical and wouldn’t calm down. And it was very cold in the room. Very cold. So I just huddled under the blankets with him while he was crying while I was freaking out because I was very scared. Wouldn’t you be? Eventually the baby calmed down, but it was still cold. And then we both feel asleep.

I woke up the next morning and updated my Facebook wall about how freaked out I was. I believed I had a ghost. Within an hour, someone contacted me that knew someone from TV that did paranormal research on a reality TV show, Ashley Troub. Ashley actually lives close by to me and has a team of local paranormal researchers. They go around the county and document hauntings with audio and video. They also have a couple psychics on their team that can help communicate with the dead. I was totally down. We talked and set up a time for them to come Monday night to see what was in my house.

Video cameras were watching my bedroom, the nursery and hallway. The hotspots.

When they arrived they brought lots of equipment: cameras, recorders, EMF recorders, a monitor, lots of wires, etc. They went around the house with the EMF recorders to see how my house read. EMF stands for Electromagnetic Field. According to the team, ghosts are able to manipulate the electromagnetic field around them somehow. The rooms that were very high were the hallway and the kids room, especially the kids room. We gave them a tour of the rooms where we had experienced something unusual.

EMF Gadget

Then the psychic came. She went with us room to room. Before she walked into our bedroom, which was the first room on our tour, she stopped at the door but said nothing. We explained what had happened room to room and then took her outside where I told her about the young boy I saw. Right away she told me that I had the spirit of an 8 year old boy in the house. His name was “Henry” and he passed on around the 70s. She also told me my father was in the house at well. He greeted her when she came into the house by staring at her across the room. She also said that his boy was attached to me personally because he misses his mother. He saw me as a mother figure and wanted my attention. He didn’t like to be ignored.

Equipment used by paranormal research team

Okay, so what now? Well, they wanted to use me as a “trigger object” which basically means bait. So we all went into my bedroom and they all talked to “Henry.” Right away the EMF reader went off and the room got colder by Ashley Troub. They asked him all sorts of questions and was recording everyone on video and audio the entire time. They would ask questions and wait for a response. “Why are you here?…when were you born?…when did you die?…what did you like to play with when you were alive?…can you make my flashlight go off?…why do you like Leah so much?…did you have any pets?” The psychic was able to see him and he was kneeling by Ashley staring at her greenish hair. He was fascinated with her and touched her hair and her arm several times. Ashley felt everything, including a couple of times where her vision got fuzzy and he leg felt tingly.

This is what we learned about “Henry” from the the psychic. Henry lived in the house and died in the 70s from what he described as something behind his eyes. We think it was a brain tumor because it eventually led to blindness, he lost the ability to talk and walk, but still loved to read and had his imagination. He loved reading books about pirates. He also missed his mother and kept asking us where she was. His mother wasn’t around when he was alive, in fact, he didn’t remember what she looked like. But his father was around and his name was “Carl” or something like that. He was interested in me because he wanted his mother and I reminded him of what he thought a perfect mother would be like. We asked him not to scare me anymore and to please leave the baby alone. He admitted to teasing the baby in the crib. Then he just disappeared.

Then we went into the kids room and my father appeared right away. According to the psychic, my father has decided not to pass to the other side because he’s watching out for my boys, especially the oldest. My father died of Mesothelioma and he stayed alive to see his first grandson and then died about three months later. This is actually something that I don’t question at all because my own children have been saying they have been seeing my father in their bedroom for years. And I’ve felt his presence in this house since we’ve moved here. Plus all the pictures with orbs. The funniest thing about my father is I was able to talk to him. I teased him about not believing in ghosts when he was alive and now he was one. The irony is thick around here. He responded just as he would have in person, crossed his arms and just gave me a look. So my father will be here for a while until he feels like his job is done watching over my boys. I’m okay with that.

About Henry. We decided on a game plan. Henry just wants to be part of my life and wants a mother figure. So I asked the psychic if he would stop stop scarring me if I acknowledged him more often and she said absolutely. So going forward I’m going to acknowledge him and say good night to him and tell him I love him and even possibly read pirate stories to him. We are hoping that if he feels loved and accepted by me then eventually he will pass over. Right now he’s not ready because he hasn’t gotten what he needs. So after the paranormal research team packed up and left and I was in the bedroom about to go to sleep I said to Henry, “Okay Henry, I know you are here. Please stop scarring me in the middle of the night. You have my attention now. From now on, you can be part of the family. But please leave the baby alone.” And then the pile of laundry across from my bed moved. I think that was his way of telling me it was a deal. But it still freaked me out.

We are bringing the team back to my house in about a year or so after I’ve continued to talk to Henry. This time, they are going to bring another psychic that specializes in helping ghosts make the trip to the “other side.” So basically I need to love a ghost like he was my own son to make him feel loved and cared for. And then when he gets what he wants he’ll either pass over on his own or we can assist him with a different type of psychic. The research team is also going to go through all the video and audio to see if you can see any manifestations of the ghosts. This is going to take weeks because they all have day jobs. And I think they are going to go to the county recorders office to see who owned this house in the 70s to verify any of the information we received from the psychic.

Am I freaked out and scared? Yes, especially since he made that pile of dirty clothes move. That was what made me a believer in “Henry.” But I’m not leaving my house and I’m sure I’ll just get used to it like I do other things. I always wanted four boys. I just didn’t expect to have a fourth boy quite this way.

Happy Halloween.

UPDATE: Halloween night the lights in my room came off and on at about 1:30am. Mark busted out the video camera because we wanted to show the paranormal research team. Here is what happened and yes that is me crying in the background.

UPDATE UPDATE: I’m done being nice to ghosts in my house especially the ones that only have the mind of an 8 year old child. I’m bringing in the Calvary. Yeah, I’m bringing the psychic cleanser to my house. And I’m also going to bring a priest, rabbi, minister, and any other religious figure that can bless my house. I thought I could handle this, but I can’t. I’m being honest here.

Today my 94 year old grandma is praying in my room pretty much every hour for God to take the little boy back to heaven. Last night we got sleep. That was the first night in almost a week. If I can’t get this spirit out of my house, this may kill me.

I HAVE A REQUEST FROM YOU: Please please please pray for my family and my home. Pray that this boy goes back to where he needs to be–heaven. I know lots of you want to do something to help, but I think having people all over the country pray for us is the most powerful thing that CAN happen. Take action that way. Thank you!



Powered by ConvertKit
Leah Segedie is the Founder of Mamavation and Bookieboo, a blogger network. After losing over 100 lbs, she started a career mentoring women in health and since then has assisted in over 3,500 lbs lost via the Mamavation community. Leah and her work has been mentioned in Ladies Home Journal, Reader's Digest, Fitness, Women's Day, CNN, ABC, CBS, the O'Reilly Factor, AOL, Entrepreneur, and Yahoo to name a few. She works from home in her fuzzy slippers.

Latest posts by Mamavation (see all)