About seven years ago, I lost over 100 lbs. People ask me all the time how I started and that answer is simple–I stopped drinking soda.
Today, I call myself a “fitness and health matriarch” and what that means is I’ve spent years of my life mentoring women to better health. In the four short years Mamavation has been around, I’ve assisted women losing over 3,500 lbs. I don’t tell you this to brag. I’m telling you this so you understand my experience. And our first step in Mamavation is kicking soda to the curb. Just like I did…
So you can understand my frustration when a brand like Coca Cola is the “Wellness” sponsor for BlogHer. And I’ve been contemplating what Coke brings to the table. Then I thought…of course…maybe Coke is switching from High Fructose Corn Syrup to regular cane sugar….or maybe they are switching their artificial dyes to natural dyes…or taking the genetically modified ingredients (GMOs) out of their soda…but alas, none of that is happening. Nope, they just want to carve out a place in the health/wellness niche for themselves so that people can feel better about drinking their product. That’s it. Last I checked, that was the definition of being disingenuous.
So where is the authenticity? I thought that’s what social media was all about…
I understand I’m going to hear the “moderation” argument. (The only time we need to use that codeword is when we are talking about unhealthy foods in the healthy space.) So let’s face it. Coke’s got nothing to add other than to say “
get off your fat ass and exercise If you get more activity, you can enjoy more soda!” Well, let me tell you from experience….It’s not about the calories you consume, it’s about what those calories consist of that’s important when it comes to “wellness.” Sources and ingredients are king.
As for facts about soda here we go:
1. The High Fructose Corn Syrup in diet and regular soda is a classified “obesogen” which means it turns ordinary cells into fat cells, makes you insulin resistant, slows down your metabolic rate, makes you tired and more hungry, AND leads to diabetes.
2. People who drink diet soda have a 70% increase in waist circumference on average, which means your waistline increases.
3. Phosphoric acid, an ingredient in Coke, is linked to accelerated aging (cue more facial cream), heart & kidney problems, muscle loss and osteoporosis.
4. The BPA that lines the metal cans of soda are also classified “obesogens” and are known to interfere with hormones, linked to infertility, obesity, diabetes and reproductive cancers.
5. Soda contains GMOs, which have been linked to digestive tract damage, accelerated aging, cancer, and even infertility. Last fall, French scientists found rats fed GMO corn developed tumors and died prematurely. And just recently, pigs in a long term feeding study were found to have “severe” stomach issues.
And finally, I’ve never heard of a prostitute teaching abstinence…so why is Coke teaching wellness?
Join Mamavation for a twitter chat about soda and wellness!
When: Tuesday, July 23rd
Time: 6-7:30pm PST/9-10:30pm EST
1. 5ml “Diva to Go” natural perfume (1 winner)
2. Book: Fat Profits by Bruce Bradley. Bruce Bradley used to work in the food industry and knows a great deal about how they use loopholes in the law to mislead the public. (2 winners)
3. Color Garden NATURAL Food Dyes 4 color set (3 winners)
4. Superfoods Triple Pack from Nutiva (3 winners)
5. Book: The Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O’Brien. Robyn O’Brien also worked for the food industry as an analyst for several years and exposes some “unhealthy truths” in her book. (3 winners)
6. Book: Fitness Confidential by Vinnie Tortorich, fitness trainer to the stars (3 winners)
7. Book: Trust Your Intuition: 25 “Natural Medicine Confessions” From Influential Women Who Choose Healing Remedies for Their Families by Jenni Wilson (2 winners)
8. Book: UnJunk Your Junk Food, Healthy Alternatives to Conventional Snacks written by Andrea Donsky of Naturally Savvy (3 winners)
9. Peanut Butter Gift pack from Earth Balance (3 winners)
10. Gift pack from Navitas Naturals consisting of cacao powder, chia seeds, pomegranate powder and goji berry powder (3 winners)
11. Gift baskets from Numi Organic Tea including DIY Tea Set and one box of tea (3 winners)
12. Gift packs from Swerve Sweetener: zero-calorie, non-glycemic, non-GMO, natural sugar replacement in both granular and confectioners styles (3 winners)
Panelists: (#badass healthy warriors standing with me…)
@Bookieboo–Host, Royal Pain in the Ass for Better Health
@CBelleConcierge–Panelist, Mamavation Mom
@Momvantage–Panelist, Mamavation Mom
@lydsrich–Panelist, Mamavation Mom
How to Enter Giveaways: Please share this post on TWO social media platforms of your choice like Twitter, Facebook or Google+ to RSVP and then tweet during the party. Winners will be selected at random based on uses of the hashtag during party.
I’m joining @Bookieboo saying Soda has NO business teaching “wellness” at #BlogHer13, 7/23, http://bit.ly/15W5xL7 #stepstowellness
Soda is antithesis of health, so WHY are they teaching “wellness” at #BlogHer13? Join convo 7/23 http://bit.ly/15W5xL7 #stepstowellness
Twitter Party abt health effects of soda protesting Coke as a #BlogHer13 “wellness” sponsor, 7/23 http://bit.ly/15W5xL7 #stepstowellness
Sample Facebook & Google+ updates:
Coke is is sponsoring the “wellness” campaign at BlogHer this year. At the very least this is disingenuous. When Coke is part of the problem, why are they pretending to be part of the solution? They aren’t offering to change their product in any way to make it a better choice. Join the (tag Mamavation) gang on twitter Tuesday, July 23rd from 6-7:30pm PST/9-10:30pm EST for a party about what soda does to us as a nation and win some prizes from brands that actually DO promote health/wellness, http://bit.ly/15W5xL7
Please RSVP by hitting the Mr. Linky below
JOIN THE MAMAVATION COMMUNITY!
STAY UP TO DATE ON HEALTH ISSUES IMPACTING YOUR FAMILY